I have decided to take a different approach to my goals for year 3. I am working towards 7 prayer goals. My HIS Renee let me borrow (so I think I may have stolen it now since I’ve had it for exactly a year now!!!) a book called Seven Prayers that will change your life forever by Stormie Omartian. I would like to use those 7 prayers as my goals and guidance in my prayer life for the next year. My overall goal in general is to strengthen my faith so that it doesn’t matter what is on my list of milestones…. big or small….short term or long term….I want to be able to trust God so much that I am confident that I can truly do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me. The seven prayers are as follows:
1. The prayer of CONFESSION- This prayer goal will help me hold myself accountable for my sins. God sees all and knows all but it is important to take responsibility for our actions knowing that we had a choice. Further, it is equally important for me to let God know that I recognize that my behavior was not Christ like and I need his mercy and guidance to walk a better walk.
2. The prayer of SALVATION– This prayer goal will serve as a reminder that Jesus already paid the price so that I can live the life I have and in place of my sorrows he will give me joy, in place of heartache he will give me wholeness, in place of guilt and condemnation he will give me peace. (So when I complain about feeling guilty…please say “Gem did you pray a prayer of salvation today?) The prayer of salvation brings so many things: releases us from guilt, brings peace and abundant life, brings entry into the kingdom of God and brings God’s mercy and grace.
3.The prayer of RELEASE– This prayer goal simple put encompasses the phrase “Let go and Let God”- As a continually reformed neurotic control freak this is probably the hardest thing to do. Although I have gotten better at it I want to amp up my releasing prayers. I can control myself, not other people, not their choices , nor their thoughts or behaviors. That is God’s work and not mine. release…release….release….
4. The prayer of SUBMISSION– This prayer goal is one that can bring such incredible peace. God’s will is HIS will and have experienced it two ways…when I was still and let God work in only the way he can work and I’ve also experienced having a problem, analyzing it to death, doing cartwheels, jumping jacks and breakdances trying to find a solution and then crying all night and finally saying God ,please help me….let’s just say the latter is sooooo not worth it. If you give it to God he will work it out. Submission = peace (even if it wasn’t your plan) The secret is….God’s plan is always better. (I am still learning this)
5. The prayer of PRAISE– This prayer goal is to help me stay focused on what I have and not on what I want or don’t have. It will also help me to continue to live in the present. I have started a gratitude journal and everynight before I go to bed I write down 5 things that I am thankful for. It has helped tremendously with regards to keeping a positive mindsight. Some days I am thankful for my eyelashes and fingernails but before I lay my head on the pillow I am thanking God for something. Praising God just makes you feel good and it reminds you of how awesome God is and what wonderful things he does. This is a feel good goal.
6. The prayer of PROMISE– This prayer goal gives me something to stand on when/if I am feeling down. God is not a man that he shall lie. There are many many promises in the bible and they are for all of us and if we meditate on them we will remember that God wants us to live a life of joy. So if you are worried about being miserable. Grab your bible…he does not promise you that you will be miserable forever and ever and ever…joy is out there, it will come, he promised it.
7.The prayer of BLESSING– This prayer goal for me is linked to the power of thoughts and words. If anything comes out of my mouth I pray that it calls forth blessings for me and everyone else that I come in contact with and so on and so on and cause a ripple effect. Thanks to Joel Osteen I have been “Believing and Declaring” up a storm and I would like to keep that up. At times it may be silly to believe and declare that Dillard’s will have an extra 30% off sale but I don’t care , I am believing and declaring for everything positive to come my way. When you are blessed you can bless others and this is always a good thing. For good health, healthy relationships, and prosperity, I believe and declare this for myself….and for YOU.
I hope that you will join me in praying without ceasing every chance that you get 🙂
One day at a time,